The Terrible Two's

Monday, October 19, 2009

Kitty Hawk, NC

On the way back to the mainland we had to pass Kitty Hawk. This was Rodney's thing; the history buff in him wanted to visit the birthplace of human flight. Of course, I didn't mind. As a child of James Knight all of our vacations were filled with more historical and educational activities than just plain blow your mind away fun stuff. The theme park was always last on our agendas, after the museums and monuments.

Kitty Hawk was amazing. I hate that we didn't have the foresight to pick up a kite; it was perfect weather. Above is a metal replica/scene enactment of the first flight.
This is Rodney and me at the base of the actual monument. This I think is the last i will ever see of my rings. We got rained on on the way up, but it was so far that there was no way I was turning back. Kill Devil's Hill was murder on my calves and thighs and I was pushing Maddy in the stroller. BTW . . . that is the actual name of the town where the Orville brothers did their flight testing. I learned that in the museum.

The monument.



Family portrait in the museum. The kids loved the museum and all of it's different attractions and areas. It was very interactive.

Kill Devil's Hill. This area was once all sand and dirt. This shot was taken from the parking lot. It was a very long walk up to the monument. But well worth it. There are four views from the top of the hill - the metal replica, the barn where they lived and stored the gliders and planes, the museum, and I can't remember the third. But it was really nice. The monument is actually shaped like a bird's wing from the side view.
On the way out we stopped at a local Wal-mart and a side of the road cafe for lunch and to visit a small scale light house. Off to Greensboro . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home