The Terrible Two's

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

RIP Daddy Odell

Monday, January 28, 2008




Daddy O'Dell passed away on Monday, January 21, 2008. He was the father of my Aunt Vi's husband, Uncle Richard. I attended the funeral today with my mother, who talked me into speaking. My public comments went something like the following: "Good morning, getting up to speak is not my thing, but since my mother has lost her voice today, she talked me into getting up for her. Although I didn't have a close personal relationship with Daddy O'dell, I knew very well who he was. He and my grandmother (paternal) shared a yard, which I played in on many occasions. Fortunately enough for me I never did anything bad enough to cause me to cross paths with Mr. O'dell. I can't say the same for my brother and some of my cousins. I have heard in recent years that he thought I was special, "That girl is smart," he would say. He used to watch me on the local cable station during the Little Rock Board Meetings. And I found out this week that my parents met at his home many, many years ago. So to my Uncle Richard, Aunt Vi, and my cousins: Gigi, Joi, and Ricky, I would like to say that we are sorry for your loss, we love you - God bless." I should have added that I always heard that he was a hardworking man and the perfect example of a gentleman. I can see from the picture below where my Uncle Richard got his style.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home