The Terrible Two's

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pumpkin Carving 101

We finally got around to carving one of those pumpkins we picked up in Mayflower. I ran to the store as soon as we got home to get one of those pumpkin carving kits but it took me a few evenings to get motivated.Thought the kit would make the job easy. It's been years since I carved a pumpkin; probably when Jamey was a kid or maybe once when I lived by myself at the old house.
Yes, that's a watermelon. Such an oxymoron, but KWK decided she didn't get enough watermelon this summer (even though we brought back 4 or 5 from the Hope festival).
It was hard work. Maybe because of the help/semi help from the kiddies. Or maybe it was just plain difficult. Notice I said one. We decided to save one for fun with daddy.

The directions make it seem so easy. Half the crap in the kit didn't work the way it was supposed to so I had to improvise. Fric n Frac were totally fascinated - beats watching TV.




For extra fun I had Max pick the pumpkin seeds from the flesh to take to school for Friday's show and tell. I figured his teacher could use them for some fall project. They ended up smelling. I probably should read up on how to dry and store them for next time. I think you can eat them.


Did you know that you don't put an actual fire in them now. They sell some fake tea light thing that they recommend you use instead. I do kind of remember the handle on my last Jack O'Lantern burning up or something.
I guess we did all right because Uncle James thought we had someone make this one for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home