The Terrible Two's

Monday, March 3, 2008

Mr. Wizard Cake

One day, several weeks ago I had a really strong craving for chocolate cake. As usual, but only on rare occasions, I called upon Ms Walton (Shana's Mama), my old school dessert guru. She was not available to make me a devil's food cake, but surprisingly, in her place appeared Shana with a recipe written on post-it notes. I don't think in 20+ yrs of friendship I have even know Shana Walton to bake any kind of dessert. She is also not a big chocolate fan, so I was even more surprised when she said she remembered this recipe and that it was one that she liked.
Now, on to why I have deemed it the Mr. Wizard Cake. I have listed the ingredients below and I thought it was unusual to put vinegar in the batter. But more odd than that ingredient was the manner in which the cake was mixed. This was the one day that I was super disappointed to not have the camera available to take pictures of this magnificent creation.
Shana mixed the ingredients of the cake in the same pan that she baked it in (9x13). All of the dry goods went in first and then she scooped out three (3) little circles, in which she poured the vinegar, oil, and vanilla, over which she poured the water and then mixed it all together. Baked the cake for what seemed like no time, punched a few holes in it and then poured the glaze over it. And I should add that I could sit down and eat the glaze all by itself.
The cake was super moist and very good for a quick chocolate cake. If I ever try this recipe again, I will add more chocolate, but that's why Shana likes it, because it isn't as fudgy tasting. Shana was a life saver that day, she also cooked most of dinner, and kept Max off my back - she almost got some naming rights to this baby! But I guess I'll just let keep her GodParent rights to Max and give her some additional ones to this new one.

Mr. Wizard Cake Recipe
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vinegar
3/4 cups oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups cold water
Bake at 350 (35 - 40 minutes)

Mr. Wizard Cake Glaze
1 cup sugar
1/2 butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup milk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home