The Terrible Two's

Friday, August 15, 2008

It's Over Now! In Case You Missed it!

Well, I survived the wedding, but I have been off work for the past week with a sinus infection and strep throat. The wedding consumed my every waking moment last week and I guess I just wore myself out - not to mention that I went to work every single day and kept up with all of that stuff too. It was a very beautiful ceremony and I hope the happy couple enjoyed themselves and appreciate all of the effort I put into their big day. I am still not sure why they decided to have a vow renewal ceremony, but you know how much I like weddings, so when she called I was ready to get busy.


I had a very well scripted ceremony and reception planned, but it was very clear at Friday's rehearsal that nothing was going to go as planned. It was good practice though; and it was really good footage for WETV's Bridezilla! Don't get me wrong, Lenieka was a model bride throughout this whole process, but the rest of the wedding party and vendors is another story that I don't even have the energy to write about. But I will say that Kobi and I have some very bad kids. The three little ones nearly tore City Hall down - I am surprised they were able to open the doors on Monday. My little Max was the worse!


Anyway . . . on to the wedding . . . . .


Kobi walked Mama down the isle to her seat in the front. Kamron and Kobi Janai were to follow with roses to place in an empty seat to represent Lenieka's mother. Kobi Janai didn't make it and had a total meltdown. I wish you could see the expression on Tasha's face in the background, holding up the wall, in this picture. She said that she "quits" Kobi Janai - first the baby broke the rose stem into two pieces, then she cried about it being broken and Tasha taped it back together. Then she and Kamron argued over who would get which rose and then Kobi Janai threw a tantrum and never made it down the aisle. We could hear her upstairs as we waited to walk down into our places. She can be seen asleep in Ms. Foreman's lap in all of the pictures throughout the rest of the ceremony.


Again, I have to say that Lenieka was the model bride. She took direction and suggestions very well, which is why I didn't balk about the stuff that I didn't want to fool with. For example, cooking all of that food for the reception. The reception menu consisted of Chicken Spaghetti, Spaghetti with meat sauce, Chicken and Broccoli Rigatoni with Alfredo Sauce, Meatloaf, Green Beans, Whole Kernel Corn, Cornbread, and Punch. All was cooked after 12:30 AM on Friday night at my house. I had a headache from being up two nights in a row until 4 am and getting back up at 6am to go to work. So I took a nap and asked them to wake me at 2AM. By the time they woke me at 2am on the dot, I had a full blown migraine from not eating but two times in two days and they were done cooking. The two of them had never made any of the dishes but regular spaghetti, but they pulled it off because the food was a hit at the reception. We are still getting feedback from people who attended.
Reverend Lock, one of Kobi's long time friend's father, did an excellent job on the ceremony and was sweet as pie. The chaos didn't bother him at all - he just rolled right with it. And from what I here the chaos was not very transparent at all during the actual ceremony. I guess that's the goal of all events -just look good!
The bridesmaids - well, ask me in private and I can tell you everything, it would take me to long to do so here on this blog. But it all worked out - I was the matron of honor and the only one in some pink, her cousin was the maid of honor, and the other two bridesmaids were a long time friend who used to do Lenieka's hair, and a new friend from beauty school.

The groomsmen - all I have to say is that they took better pictures than us. They were sharp as tact's in their black tux's with latte accessories. Rodney and James Jr were the best men and Rodney looked good in his pink! James refused to wear it and that was okay - it worked out. The other two guys are long time friends of Kobi. I heard one of their wives was very concerned with who her husband was going to walk with.
The cake was gorgeous and delicious, not at all what I thought it would like like from what she described and not at all her expectation, but it was also a hit.
After the ceremony they took some shots outdoors. They really looked nice together. You can't see Kamron's tie in this picture, but it is pink and in his words to his mother, "[Mama] they accidentally put a pink tie on me!" He was not pleased with the color choice. I am not sure what's up with the Knight men and their pink phobia! I tried to tell them real men where pink and my Rodney was a shining example!
Better picture of the pink tie. They had really been active and I was just trying to corral them for a minute or two. The reason you don't see Max is because he acted a complete and total monkey before and during the ceremony and had to be kept off the stairs which was the stage for the ceremony. He fell asleep, sitting straight up in a chair, with the fork in mid air, while eating a plate of spaghetti at the reception. He spent the next few hours asleep on my office couch until it was time to leave the building.
There he is below before the ceremony began in his pink shirt. None of the kids had the right shoes. Kobi Janai and Kamron's shoes were in Wrightsville on the prison farm in Ms. Foreman's car; she couldn't gain access to them. Max's shoes were in my office one minute and gone before he got changed and dressed. They showed up Monday morning in one of my bosses in-box's that she rarely uses. Max was totally in love with her half of our office suite this weekend.

This was a real innocent moment between Kobi Janai and her mother. She is perfectly sweet when no one is looking. The sad part is that in another 6-9 months my baby girl will be in the mix with the rest of the crew. Pray for her!
The bride's bouquet. Why is it all special and highlighted here you ask? Because I made it, 4 bridesmaids bouquets, and 6 boutonnieres. First time for everything! I think I did a damn good job! Pink and white roses, blush alstromerias, various ferns and other greenery. I was the coordinator, matron of honor, personal assistant to the bride, florist, musician, and part of the catering and decorating crew. I also made and sent the invitations - late, but I did it. And I made the programs and spent 6 hours with her on choosing music for the ceremony - whole nother story. I forgot all of the heavy lifting and last minute errands. Thank God for Aryshona, who spent a couple of late nights with me and ran a lot of errands for me on Friday while I was at work.
Rodney and I looked good in our pink, but I was dog tired by the time we took this picture. I don't even think I had a chance to shower or brush my teeth that day. He on the other hand was all cool and collected and perfectly groomed - spa facial and everything. The wedding started at 3:30pm although we were there by 12:45 to take pictures we never took. I was home by 7pm, after helping to breakdown, pack up, move, and reload everything. And dropping my 82 yr old Godmother at her house. Shouts out to Shantea, Tasha, and Amanda who held it down for a sister. Without them, I would have been at City Hall until midnight again. Thanks so much, ladies!! By 7:30 PM, after unloading my SUV, Rodney's truck, and Mama's SUV, I was passed out on the couch still dressed.
Kobi and Lenieka had a really nice Mercedes, loaned to them by a friend to ride home in. I think they were supposed to go to a birthday party for one of Lenieka's cousins, but I heard Lenieka passed out when she got home too. She was a very hands on bride. Kobi Janai thought she was riding with them and would not get out of the shot.

The End - It's Ova!! So much more to tell, but not enough energy!

1 Comments:

  • At August 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Denise Felton said...

    Oh, my goodness! How gorgeous. And you look fresh as a daisy--not like a woman who was up all week scrambling. Maybe you need to think about a new career as a wedding coordinator!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home