The Terrible Two's

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Deacon & Deaconess Nelson

First Sunday - July 2008



My friend Shantea's husband, Ralph, was recently ordained a deacon at their church. Shantea has, in the past, refused to comply to some of the deaconess rules and guidelines. She did attend the six week training session. In July, after a whole lot of personal tragedy and controversy, and a little coaxing from her husband, she decided to wear the white and sit near the front row as all Deaconesses are required to do on first Sundays. I think it's so they will be front and center as their husband are for Communion. Who knows?!? Well this tasks requires an all white outfit (dress or skirt - no pants), hose, shoes, and hat! This was difficult for her on so many levels and she moaned and complained all week about what she wasn't going to do. Tasha and I decided to gather our family's and go to support (point and laugh) our dear friend, Shantea.



As it turned out, I almost forgot because I was so delirious with what ever sickness I was suffering from that weekend, but I did manage to tell Rodney we were going at about 4 AM that morning. Tasha and her family didn't make it and Rodney forgot to bring the camera into the church because, as usual, we were running a bit late. Shantea looked like a doll in her white suit and hat! SMILE!!! She is always pretty, but she fixes up nicely. She had a vintage style suit and a very modest hat. I even noticed her mother in the back row who probably came to do the same thing I did - support/laugh! And Ralph did an excellent job with his Deacon duties.



After church we waited around for them to finish up so that we could all go out for lunch. Max ran up and down every pew in the sanctuary as we waited - almost got Grayce in trouble - his father thought that was okay. We had problems the next Sunday at church in Malvern.



Below are a few shots Rodney took as we enjoyed our lunch at Olive Garden. Too bad he didn't get a good shot of Shantea before she ditched the hat and hose.




With all of the mockery I forgot to mention that the church service was great and that I was impressed with the facilities, the pastor, and the choir. Shantea attends church where I was baptized many years ago at the age of 18. I then went off to school and attended a few years when I came back. We had an old school preacher then that caused me to start visiting other churches and that is how I ended up where I am now; where I attended almost every Sunday for five years before I actually joined. Here lately we have been church hopping, but I still love home! SMILE!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home